National Poppy Day® Contest For Veteran Owned Businesses
Join The American Legion in support of National Poppy Day® and enter the 2018 Veteranpreneur Contest. Veterans, active duty military and their spouses are eligible to enter. See link below to complete the online entry form and send in your poppy-themed product for consideration to be sold in the 2019 Poppy Shop through The American Legion’s Emblem Sales.
Think small. Notecards, lapel pins, pendants.
Think big. T-shirts, vases, hats, tote bags.
Think poppy. Regardless of the product, be sure it features a red poppy flower.
Submissions will be accepted for products that feature the red poppy flower with up to four finalists selected based on the following criteria:
- Price point. The wholesale price cannot exceed $30.
- Production time. The winning item must be easy to replicate with a minimal amount of production time. One-of-a-kind items will not be selected.
- Ordering and retail viability. The winning Veteranpreneur will receive up to a $10,000 production order from The American Legion Emblem Sales Catalog. The winning poppy-themed product will be sold in the 2019 Poppy Shop through The American Legion’s Emblem Sales with all net proceeds benefiting veterans, service members and their families. All submissions become property of The American Legion and will not be returned. The winning contestant shall be required to sign and comply with the standard Emblem Sales Agreement.
Contest entrants need to provide a copy of their military ID, or DD 214 form (social security number and birthdate must be redacted), or a copy of their spouse’s DD 214 form (social security number and birthdate must be redacted) as entrants need to be one of the following:
- Veteran or active duty military
- Spouse of a veteran or active duty military
The contest submission dates are open from February 28 – April 25, 2018. All entries must be received not later than April 25, 2018.
Selection of Finalists
All contest entries will be reviewed by a judging panel. This judging panel will vote to narrow the contest field to up to four finalists. The finalists will receive paid travel to a selected media market for a televised news segment on Thursday, May 24, 2018. Details of the travel will be provided to the finalists. Viewers of the news segment will be encouraged to go online and vote for their favorite Poppy-themed product, with voting open until approximately 9:59 p.m. ET May 24, 2018.
Announcing the Winner
The winning poppy-themed product and the Veteranpreneur will be announced live on National Poppy Day®, May 25, 2018, at approximately 8:00 a.m. ET.
Ready to enter? Fill out the form below and send your poppy-themed product so it is received no later than April 25, 2018.
Entries must include completed entry, poppy-themed product and a copy of entrant’s military ID, DD 214 form (social security number and birthdate must be redacted), or a spouse’s DD 214 (social security number and birthdate must be redacted) form. All entries must be sent to: